Saturday, March 11, 2006

Women Priest in the Episcopal Church

Alice Linsley served as a priest and rector in the Episcopal Church until she came to believe that the Episcopal Church has abandonded catholic order. She has renounced her orders in the Episcopal Church and has written about her journey and her position against women's ordination. I especially found this part interesting:

Question: Where do Evangelicals who support women priest go wrong in your view?

Response: The iorny of Evangelicals is that they say they believe in the authority of Scripture but then allow cultural accommodation of ther interpretation of Scripture


I will have to agree. I have never understood why those calling themselves "Evangelical" or scripture based so often look over biblical passages that speak about divorce or women's ordination. These two issues are the most glaring contradictions in the Evangelical worldview - to speak generally, but not absolutely.

Full text of
Alice Linsley: Q & A via Pontifications.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

During my time as an member of ECUSA I met only one woman priest who I would consider to be 'orthodox' eventhough a female priest is not orthodox, but you know what I mean. I often would talk to her because we saw eye to eye on everything theologicaly except womens ordination. Well, I was suprised when she told me that she was renouncing her vows as a priest because she could not serve as an image of Christ behind the altar. Thus ends my knowing an orthodox woman priest. The rest are all so liberal they make my head spin!